Best of luck to the five Atlantic Youth Hockey League alumni who will be participating in the 2018 Olympics for Team USA!
The five players on the USA Men’s Hockey Team roster played in the AAHA Program before moving on to college/major junior and the professional ranks.
- Matt Gilroy played for Devils Youth and Suffolk PAL and went on to win a national championship at Boston University. He currently plays for the KHL’s lone team in Finland, Jokerit.
- Ryan Gunderson played for the Mercer Chiefs and Valley Forge Minutemen as a youth and attended the University of Vermont. He now competes in the Swedish Hockey League for Brynas.
- Chad Kolarik suited up for the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers and Valley Forge Minutemen (where he was teammates with Gunderson on the 1999 peewee national champion team). Chad currently plays in the top league in Germany, the DEL.
- Brian O’Neill also suited up for the AYHL’s Philadelphia Jr. Flyers and later enrolled at Yale University. After playing part of a season for the NHL’s NJ Devils, he left for Europe where he is now teammates with Matt Gilroy on Jokerit (KHL).
- Bobby Sanguinetti, formerly a New Jersey Rocket, went on to play in the OHL with Owen Sound and Brampton before spending several seasons in the NHL with the NY Rangers and Carolina Hurricanes. He is currently playing in Switzerland’s top league (NLA) with Lugano.