Atlantic Amateur Hockey Association (AAHA)
Date: June 17, 2023
Subject: Deferral of Tier I Youth and Girls Tiering Process for New Applications
WHEREAS, the AAHA acknowledges the need to address the process for new Tier 1 Youth and Girls Associations and their respective teams within the AAHA Affiliate; and
WHEREAS, it has been determined that the current Tiering Policy requires amendments to better handle poor-performing Tier I Hockey Clubs and their respective teams; and
WHEREAS, the AAHA intends to form a committee to review and propose necessary amendments to the Tier I Tiering Policy;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
1. Effective immediately, the AAHA hereby suspends all new Tier I Youth and Tier I Girls Applications for a period of two years.
2. The deferral shall remain in effect until June 30, 2025, after which the deferral shall be automatically lifted unless otherwise resolved by the Board of Directors.
3. During the deferral period, the AAHA President shall establish a committee comprised of Members of the Board, and other experts. The committee's purpose will be to review the current Tiering Policy, propose amendments, and develop a method to address the poor performance of Tier I Youth and Girls Hockey Clubs and their respective teams.
4. The committee shall have the authority to consult with relevant stakeholders, including coaches, administrators, USA Hockey Staff, and Board members, to gather input and ensure a comprehensive review of the Tiering Policy.
5. The committee shall present its proposed amendments of the Tiering Policy and method to address poor-performing clubs and their respective teams to the Board of Directors for review and adoption at the AAHA Winter Meeting, in January 2025.
6. Once approved by the Board of Directors, the amended Tiering Policy and method shall be implemented in accordance with the timeline established by the committee.
7. The AAHA shall communicate the deferral of new Tier I Youth and Tier I Girls Applications, the formation of the committee, and the overall objectives to the members, clubs, and other relevant parties through appropriate channels.
8. All existing Tier I Youth and Tier I Girls Associations, including probationary status shall be required to renew their association’s Tier I Status in accordance with AAHA Rules and Regulations.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the AAHA Executive Committee is hereby authorized and directed to take all necessary actions to implement and enforce this resolution.
This resolution is Adopted by the Board of Directors of the AAHA on June 17, 2023.
Glenn Hefferan 9/1/23
Glenn Hefferan, AAHA President Date
Brian Peca 9/1/23
Brian Peca, AAHA Secretary Date